Terrorists fired three shells on Israel Saturday night. Abu Mazen said expulsion is "due to the martyrs" and vowed a "larger Jihad." Hamas challenged PA authority and tried to attack Kfar Darom.
No one was hurt in the attacks on Kibbutz Nahal Oz in the Negev, on N'vei Dekalim in Gush Katif and on Kibbutz Netiv Ha'Asarah. The attacks came on the heels of occasional shelling of Gush Katif communities during the expulsion, which Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has said would not take place under fire.
Palestinian Authority (PA) chairman Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas) told Arabs in Gaza City that the expulsion was a "small Jihad" [holy war against Israel] and that further expulsions, a "larger Jihad," would lead to an Arab state with Jerusalem as its capital.
He also announced legislative elections will be held January 25 after having postponed them this summer out of fear that Hamas terrorists would win a substantial number of seats.
The terrorist organization held rallies at the same time in Gaza and challenged the authority of the PA, promising they would not stop attacks on Israel. Two terrorists were injured Friday when an explosive device they were carrying accidentally blew up before they could plant it near IDF soldiers guarding the Kfar Darom community, whose residents have been expelled.
Dozens of masked and armed Hamas terrorists closed off Gaza City's central square across from PA parliament offices on Saturday while PA police look on without interfering. "This retreat does not mean the end of our battle, but it is the beginning," said Hamas spokesman Abu Obaideh.
Incitement against Israel heightened despite the February Sharm el-Sheikh accord that called on the PA to halt terrorism and incitement against Israel in exchange for winning the release of jailed terrorists and control of major Arab centers.
The Hamas radio station Radio Al-Aqsa praised terrorists who "will make you [Israel] tremble in Haifa [and] Tel Aviv. They will strike you in Safed…Wait for us in Jaffa, Haifa, Tel Aviv [and] Ashkelon
Posters in the central square showed a masked terrorist carrying a rifle while IDF soldiers were crying and leaving Jewish evacuated Jewish communities. Other posters proclaimed, "Israel will no longer exist" and "We drove you out as corpses."
Evicted settlers plan West Bank move to defy Sharon
Conal Urquhart in Jerusalem and Inigo Gilmore in Gush Katif Sunday August 21, 2005 The Observer
Evicted settlers from Gaza are planning to relocate to settlements in the West Bank to try to ensure that the Israeli government makes no further concessions to the Palestinians.
The majority of settlers who were evacuated last week are staying in hotels and other temporary accommodation, but some are already making inquiries about moving to settlements which may have to be evacuated in the future to allow the establishment of a Palestinian state. Sixteen of the 21 Gaza settlements and two in the northern West Bank were evacuated last week.
The settlements to be evacuated this week are Katif, Atzmona, Netzarim and Elei Sinai in Gaza and Sa Nur and Homesh in the West Bank.
Shaul Goldstein, the mayor of Gush Etzion, a bloc of more than 20 settlements in the West Bank, said that over the past two months he had been contacted by 25 families from Gush Katif about starting a new community, modelled on the same lines as those left behind in Gaza.
'The families are passionate about creating a new community in Judea and Samaria,' he said, referring to the biblical name for the West Bank. 'There is no question about their ideological commitment to settling the land of Israel.
'They believe that the settlements are in danger and they must do their part to defend them. If they do choose to come and resettle there in our area, then of course we will open our arms to them happily.'
Ariel Sharon, the Israeli Prime Minister, has said that he has no plans to evacuate other settlements than the 25 in Gaza and the northern West Bank, which will be cleared within two weeks. However, the world insists there must be further evacuations if there is to be any chance of resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Last week Condoleezza Rice, the US Secretary of State, praised Israel's evacuation of settlements, but insisted: 'It cannot be Gaza alone.'
Rachel Sapperstein, 64, who was forced to leave the Gaza settlement of Neve Dekalim, said she and her husband were contemplating moving to Hebron, where Jewish settlements are surrounded by hundreds of thousands of Palestinians.
'We are still crying and feeling the pain, and then we will gather our thoughts,' she said at her Jerusalem hotel yesterday. 'I would love to move to Hebron. It would be a great way of thumbing our noses at Sharon's government.'
Danny Naveh Demands Explanation of Rice's Statement
Sunday, August 21, 2005 / 16 Av 5765
Health Minister Danny Naveh (Likud) said he would demand that the government explain the recent statements of U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
Rice said last Thursday that the expulsion of Jews from their homes in Gaza and northern Samaria must be followed by more Israeli withdrawals and expulsions from portions of the land of Israel conquered in the 1967 Six-Day War.
"Everyone empathizes with what the Israelis are facing. But it cannot be Gaza only," said Rice.
Rice has stated repeatedly in recent months that the disengagement from Gaza and northern Samaria is only a first step on the way toward establishing a Palestinian state with territorial contiguity.
Naveh wants the government to declare that Israel will not carry out additional withdrawals and expulsions of Jews.
Naveh, along with Likud ministers Yisrael Katz, Limor Livnat, Yisrael Katz, and Tsachi Hanegbi voted against authorizing the continued destruction of Jewish communities in Gaza and northern Samaria at Sunday morning's cabinet meeting.
Although the vote was mainly a technicality, and the dissenting votes of some Likud ministers were to be expected, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon used the vote as an opportunity to chastise ministers opposed to the expulsion plan.
"There are ministers sitting in the government who are still critical of the government's action," Sharon said at the cabinet meeting.
When Naveh asked the prime minister whether he wanted those ministers to leave the government, Sharon answered, "Anyone who wishes to leave the government can leave."
Last Thursday, Agriculture Minister Yisrael Katz (Likud), worried that the Gaza withdrawal will be followed by the dismantling of more Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria said that "Rice's comments prove there is no basis to the prime minister's statement that there will not be an additional disengagement." he said.
"To my dismay, the unilateral evacuation of settlements from Gaza and northern Samaria creates a dangerous precedent which endangers the legitimacy of Israeli settlement in Judea, Samaria, the Jordan Valley, the Golan Heights and neighborhoods in east Jerusalem," Katz said