Home      |      Weblog      |      Articles      |      Satire      |      Links      |      About      |      Contact

Militant Islam Monitor > Articles > Five PA Arabs Arrested After Savagely Killing Israeli Man With Axes And Iron Bars Outside His Home

Five PA Arabs Arrested After Savagely Killing Israeli Man With Axes And Iron Bars Outside His Home

October 11, 2013

Jordan Valley Terror Attack: 5 Suspects Arrested

Following a sweeping search of the northern Jordan Valley, IDF forces have arrested five PA Arabs. Arutz Sheva Staff

Security forces have arrested five Palestinian Authority Arab men on suspicion of carrying out a brutal attack Friday morning killing Shraya Opher, a retired IDF colonel.

The five were all taken for interrogation by Israel's internal security forces (Shin Bet).

Thursday night, terrorists broke into Opher's home in the Jordan Valley community of Brosh, brutally murdering him.

Yaya (Shraya) Opher, in his 60's, served in the Shaldag air force commando unit. His wife Monique Omer, was lightly injured in the attack and was treated by paramedics at the scene, and then taken to the HaEmek Hospital in Afula.

Omer said that she and her husband heard a noise outside their home and, upon going outside to check it out, her husband was attacked by Arabs wielding iron bars and axes.

The two attackers reportedly tried to grab the Monique as she fled from the scene, but she managed to escape and stopped a passing car on Route 90 to call security forces.

"I received a call from a woman who said she (and her husband) were attacked inside their home and she managed to run away and stop a passing car for help," a paramedic working the Magen David Adom call center said. "I immediately sent medics in the area to the scene and contacted the security forces."

IDF troops have set up roadblocks in the region and are looking for the attackers, who fled the scene.

Thursday night's attack is the latest in a series of attacks that have taken place over the past few weeks.

Last Saturday, a terrorist infiltrated the Binyamin region community of Psagot, shooting nine-year-old Noam Glick at close range and then fleeing.

The IDF continues to investigate the attack. Two brothers from the Palestinian Authority town of Kfar el-Bireh have reportedly been arrested as suspects.

On September 22, IDF soldier Gal (Gavriel) Kobi was killed by a terrorist sniper in Hevron.

Several days before this attack, IDF soldier Tomer Hazan was kidnapped and murdered by a PA Arab terrorist with whom he had worked in a restaurant in Bat Yam. The terrorist lured Hazan to Samaria, where he murdered him and disposed of his body.



Victim's Widow: 'He was Cut Down by Low-Lives, Just Like That'

Monique Ofer, whose husband Sariya was brutally murdered, says "he was an amazing man who offered help, made people laugh." By Gil Ronen First Publish: 10/12/2013, 7:20 PM

The widow of Sariya Ofer, who was brutally murdered in the Jordan Valley Friday, told reporters at week's end that the Jordan Valley (Bik'a) is one of the safest places in Israel. She added that the state must give protection to all of its citizens, including those who live in secluded spots.

Speaking from her hospital bed at Afula's Ha'emek hospital, she said Sarya "was simply an amazing character who knew how to help, make others laugh, make others happy, and offer help. An amazing man who was cut down by two low-lives, just like that."

She refrained from providing details of the murder, because security forces asked her to refrain from revealing information that could compromise the investigation. Voice of Israel public radio said that she is in the orthopedic wing of the hospital and that her condition is light to moderate.

Ofer was murdered with clubs and axes at his home in the community of Brosh, in the Bik'a Valley, which forms the northern part of Israel's border with Jordan. He was a past commander of the elite Sayeret Shaked infantry reconnaissance unit, and was a colonel in the reserves.

He and his wife heard sounds outside their home. He went out and was murdered at the entrance to the resort village he had built.

Sariya Ofer will be laid to rest Sunday at 5:00 PM at the Kfar Vitkin cemetery. Five Arabs were arrested in connection with his murder on Friday.



Two Confess to Jordan Valley Killing

Two PA men have confessed to the vicious murder of Sariya Ofer in his home in the Jordan Valley. By Maayana Miskin First Publish: 10/13/2013, 2:40 PM

Two Palestinian Authority resident Arab men have confessed to the murder of Israeli man Sariya Ofer late last week, the Shin Bet has revealed. The two were arrested on Friday along with a third suspect.

Suspects Ouda Fareed Taleb Haroub, 18, and Bashir Ahmed Ouda Haroub, 21, both from the PA Arab town of Dir Samet in the Hevron region, have confessed to attacking Sayira and his wife Monique and murdering Sariya.

The two say others were involved in the slaying as well.

They revealed to investigators that they had been at the Ofer family home two weeks ago, late at night, but had not carried out the crime at the time.

Shin Bet investigators said the information that the two gave matching testimony to that given by Monique Ofer. Much of her testimony has been kept under wraps as the investigation continues.

The investigation continues.

Sariya Ofer will be laid to rest at 5 p.m. Sunday in the cemetery in Kfar Vitkin in the Sharon region.


Sraya Ofer Met his Killers 2 Weeks before Murder

When the Arabs came to his door asking for water for their car, Ofer suspected them and reported to police. AAFont Size By Gil Ronen First Publish: 10/19/2013, 8:26 PM

According to new information reported by Channel 2, the man brutally murdered outside his home in the Jordan Valley last week, Sraya Ofer, had encountered his Arab murderers two weeks earlier, when they approached his home. They aroused his suspicion in that encounter and he reported the license number of their car to police.

Police deny that they could have done more to follow up on Ofer's tip, and that his murder could thus have been prevented.

When the two killers came near his home for the first time, Ofer approached them with his gun in his hand, and with his dog next to him. The two told him that they were on their way north in their car, which had overheated, and asked for water for the car's cooling system

Ofer gave them water but suspected that they were lying, and followed them as they returned to their car. He noticed that they headed south, and not north as they had told him. He called the police's hotline number, 100, and reported the vehicle's license plate number.

Following the report, a police car came to his home at Brosh Habik'a, and a professional tracker was also summoned, when the doors of two vacation homes were found to be open, raising suspicion of a break-in.

There were no signs of a break-in, however, and a police check of the car's license plate number found that it had not been stolen. Police therefore decided not to pursue the matter further.

After the murder, a police investigator who checked Ofer's cell phone found the record of the call he had made to police. Investigators listened to the recording of that call, and based upon the license plate number of the car Ofer reported, they were able to track down his killers.

Police denied Friday that there had been any negligence on their part, and that following up more thoroughly on Ofer's initial report could have prevented the murder. Judea and Samaria Police Commander, Major General Kobi Cohen, said, "All of the required actions were taken, and since no offense had been committed and the vehicle appeared innocent, there was no reason for additional action by the investigators."


Printer-friendly version   Email this item to a friend