Home      |      Weblog      |      Articles      |      Satire      |      Links      |      About      |      Contact

Militant Islam Monitor > Articles > London subway bombers watched death videos - suspect tried to flee in burqa

London subway bombers watched death videos - suspect tried to flee in burqa

February 20, 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6354653.stm Death videos shown in bomb trial
A Jihadi rap video played at the 21/7 trial Jihadi rap video: Played to the jury
The jury in the 21 July terror trial has been shown videos of captives being killed, including beheadings, allegedly found in the homes of two defendants.

In another video, there was footage of 9/11, as well as people apparently making bombs and a suicide vest packed with ball bearings.

The films were found in flats occupied by two of the defendants, Woolwich Crown Court was told.

Six men deny conspiracy to murder and cause explosions in London in 2005.

They are Yassin Omar, 26, Hussein Osman, 28, Manfo Asiedu, 33, Muktar Ibrahim, 29, Ramzi Mohammed, 25, and Adel Yahya, 24.

'Warfare images'

The prosecution said videos of killings were found at a flat in Curtis House, New Southgate, north London, where Mr Omar is said to have lived.

In one, a man in a red hood was shown placing a knife to the neck of an unknown kneeling victim. It was then stopped

After the video was stopped junior prosecutor Alison Morgan told the court what happened next.

"He then goes on to cut the throat of the victim, dismembers his body and holds it up to the camera," she said.

The footage also showed images of warfare.

Another of the videos featured a blindfolded man in a shallow ditch. The film was stopped and Miss Morgan said his throat had been cut, his head then cut off and displayed for the camera.

Other footage allegedly found at Curtis House included the aftermath of a suicide bomb on a US barracks in Saudi Arabia, a jihad rap video, BBC footage from 7 July, and speeches by Osama Bin Laden and radical Islamic cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri.

Seven executions

Footage was also played to the jury which had allegedly been discovered at Blair House, near Stockwell, south London, where Mr Osman is said to have lived.

It showed the construction of bombs as well as of a suicide vest's detonation after being draped on a dummy.

Footage from seven killings was shown, including those of an apparent Egyptian spy, a Korean man, a US electrical engineer and a CIA agent.

The killing footage featuring the red-hooded man found at Curtis House was also found at Blair House, the court heard.

Each time the footage was shown, it was stopped before the fatal shot was fired or the blade cut the throat.

Miss Morgan also explained to the nine-woman, three-man jury what was about to happen before each film was shown.

The trial continues.

The six men are accused of plotting to detonate a series of bombs on the capital's transport network on 21 July 2005.



Jury sees 21 July 'burka escape'
CCTV image said to be Yassin Omar in a burka at Digbeth bus station Mr Omar is said to have travelled to Birmingham after the attacks
CCTV footage
CCTV images of one of the 21 July bomb suspects apparently fleeing London in a Muslim veil have been shown in court.

The jury at Woolwich Crown Court saw footage of Yassin Omar, 26, wearing a black full-length dress and burka with a handbag over his arm.

He is said to have travelled by bus to Birmingham from Golders Green in north London on 22 July 2005 - the day after an alleged attempt to bomb the Tube.

Mr Omar and six other defendants deny charges of conspiracy to murder.

The footage shows Mr Omar mingling with ordinary commuters at Digbeth coach station in Birmingham on his arrival.

The prosecution said he waited at the site before being picked up by a car.

The jury has also heard he was captured on CCTV wearing the burka at Golders Green coach station earlier in the day.

In court, the suspect's lawyers agreed that the footage showed their client.

Mr Omar, Hussein Osman, Ramzi Mohammed, Adel Yahya, Muktar Ibrahim and Manfo Asiedu deny conspiracy to cause explosions and conspiracy to murder.

Conversation disputed

Mr Omar's arrest at a house in Heybarnes Road in Birmingham came six days after the alleged extremist Muslim plot to commit suicide bombings.

THE ACCUSED Muktar Ibrahim, 29, from Stoke Newington, north London Ramzi Mohammed, 25, from North Kensington, west London Yassin Omar, 26, from New Southgate, north London Hussein Osman, 28, of no fixed address Manfo Asiedu, 33, of no fixed address Adel Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham, north London
Police deny making 'threats'

The court heard Mr Omar - who allegedly tried to detonate a bomb on a train at Warren Street station - later admitted to police he was on the Tube at the time.

He told them he had not intended to hurt anyone on 21 July.

The prosecution had earlier claimed that Mr Omar's one-bedroom flat in New Southgate, north London, was where the home-made devices were manufactured.

Detective Constable Dave Hillier, who accompanied Mr Omar back to London for questioning, told the court he had said: "I was on the Tube at the time of the explosions. I did not know it was going to go off...

"I did not make the explosives. I was told to collect it."

In cross examination, defence counsel Mr Peter Carter QC suggested DC Hillier had wrongly attributed certain comments to Mr Omar.

According to Mr Carter, the defendant had said: "I knew it was going to go off and I didn't want to hurt anyone."

But DC Hillier stood by his notes.

The trial continues.

Printer-friendly version   Email this item to a friend