Home      |      Weblog      |      Articles      |      Satire      |      Links      |      About      |      Contact

Militant Islam Monitor > Satire > Muslim released after terror raid whose brother was photographed next to suicide bomb belt protester 'cries' at press conference

Muslim released after terror raid whose brother was photographed next to suicide bomb belt protester 'cries' at press conference

Terror raid police "sorry for hurt"
June 13, 2006

MIM: The only thing left for the Metropolitan Police to do to 'make up the hurt' to the Muslim community is for them all to convert to Islam and rename themselves 'The Metro Muslim Police'. The police and journalists were all too polite to mention that the brother of one of the two men arrested had been photographed at an anti Danish cartoon demonstration standing next to a protester wearing a suicide bomb belt. (The protester himself was on probation for having been jailed on drug charges).

Terror raid police 'sorry for hurt'


Press Association
Tuesday June 13, 2006 8:13 PM

The young Muslim shot during a controversial police anti-terror raid choked back the tears as he relived the moment he feared he and his family were going to be killed.

His dramatic and emotional account of the shooting prompted Scotland Yard to apologise, for the first time, for the "hurt" caused by the raid.

Assistant Commissioner Andy Hayman issued a statement after the testimony of Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 23, and his brother Abul Koyair, 20, left the Metropolitan Police facing a string of serious allegations.

Mr Kahar claimed he was kicked in the face by a police officer, slapped and dragged down a stairway by his foot. He also alleged that he was fired on without warning.

With his arm in a sling and his voice close to breaking, Mr Kahar described how he suddenly saw an "orange spark", was flung against the wall, fell to the floor and then looked down to see blood and a hole in his chest. He claimed the police did not identify themselves before opening fire, there was no struggle with the officers and that he thought it was an armed robbery.

Mr Kahar and Mr Koyair were held for a week under anti-terror legislation at a high-security police station following the dawn raid on their house in Lansdown Road, Forest Gate, east London, on Friday, June 2. Police had been hunting for a suspected chemical bomb, but officers found nothing at the property and they were released without charge.

Flanked by their solicitors, the brothers gave their first account of the raid and the shooting at a church in Forest Gate. Recalling the moment he feared for his life, Mr Kahar said: "I heard them bringing my mum out. She was screaming and crying. I just thought... 'one by one they're going to kill us'. I was just shouting 'I ain't done nothing'. I was just worrying about my brothers, everyone. At that time I thought I was going to die."

Mr Kahar insisted violence was not in his nature, that he worked hard to support his parents and that his only apparent crime in the eyes of the police had been to be Asian "with a long length beard". He said it was not until he was dragged outside and saw police vans that he realised it was a raid, and that the ordeal had "ruined his life".

The whole affair is certain to pile further pressure on the beleaguered Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair. In a statement, Mr Hayman said his force could not comment further on the circumstances of the shooting while the Independent Police Complaints Commission's investigation was ongoing. However, he did apologise for the "hurt" caused to local residents - including those at the raided property.

"I am aware that in mounting this operation, we have, caused disruption and inconvenience to many residents in Newham and more importantly those that reside at 46 and 48 Lansdown Road," he said. "I apologise for the hurt that we may have caused."



MIM: The brothers friend was also very sorry - that he was going to go back to prison - and despite having held a press conference with a labour MP and an Imam he was put back in the slammer for violating his parole.

Protester is returned to prison
Omar Khayam Omar Khayam was still on licence at the time of his protest
A demonstrator who imitated a suicide bomber in a Muslim protest over cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad has been recalled to prison.

Omar Khayam, 22, of Bedford, is a convicted drug dealer who was jailed in 2002 and released on licence last year after serving half his sentence.

He was arrested and recalled to prison for breaching the terms of his licence.

Khayam apologised for his "insensitive" protest on Monday but said he had been offended by the cartoons.

A Bedfordshire Police spokesman said Khayam was arrested under the Criminal Justice Act 2003 at the request of the Home Office.

He was given five and a half years in prison in December 2002 for dealing cocaine and heroin.

Khayam apologised to those affected by the 7 July bombs, saying his protest was as "insensitive" as the cartoons.

This was a impulsive, foolish reaction to what he saw was the offence of the publication of those cartoons
Patrick Hall
MP for Bedford

The MP for Bedford, Patrick Hall, who was there as Khayam read the apology on Monday, said earlier he was unaware he was out on licence but that he still took the apology at face value.

"He acted on impulse - couple of friends, they got on the train and got to London, and I believe this was a impulsive, foolish reaction to what he saw was the offence of the publication of those cartoons."

The demonstration outside London's Danish embassy on Friday and Saturday mirrored protests throughout Europe and Asia over the cartoons, which were first printed in a Danish paper.

Anti-Danish protests have been repeated across the Muslim world this week, and have led to at least five deaths in Afghanistan and one in Somalia.

Omar Khayam dressed as a suicide bomber He apologised for dressing as a suicide bomber

Prime Minister Tony Blair said he was pleased that "leading members of the Muslim community have expressed their abhorrence along with everyone else in the country" to placards held during the London protest, some calling for beheadings.

"In my view, there is a real issue about how the sensible, moderate, Muslim leaders go into their community and confront this type of extremism and that's something we discuss with them continually," Mr Blair told a select committee.

He said police would have the government's full support "in any prosecutions they mount".

Police have been criticised for not making any arrests on the day, but Mr Blair said: "It is very important for our overall good relations in this country that people understand there's no political correctness that should keep the police from taking whatever action they think is necessary and that is my position 100%."

Khayam gave an explanation of his appearance as he apologised on Monday.

"I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive."


Meanwhile, one man has said he and a second man were arrested during the London demonstration as he attempted to mount a counter-demonstration.

The man, named only as John, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that he was arrested as he handed out leaflets with the cartoons printed on them.

The Metropolitan Police said two men were arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace, but no further action was taken.

Publication of one of the cartoons by a Welsh student newspaper has prompted the Cardiff students' union to apologise for any offence caused.

The editor and three student journalists from Gair Rhydd newspaper were suspended.

Printer-friendly version   Email this item to a friend