Home      |      Weblog      |      Articles      |      Satire      |      Links      |      About      |      Contact

Militant Islam Monitor > Articles > 3 held in Wales under terror laws - Warning that Millennium stadium is potential target

3 held in Wales under terror laws - Warning that Millennium stadium is potential target

August 26, 2005

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=ahjepOW56gTk&refer=europe U.K. Police Arrest, Question 3 Men in Wales Under Terrorism Act

Aug. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Police in Wales said they arrested three men under the U.K.'s anti-terrorism act.

"They are still being detained for questioning," Gwent Police said today in an e-mailed statement.

The men, who are from the Newport area in Monmouthshire, were arrested yesterday in Newport, police said.

Police declined to identify the men or to provide details on the arrests, including comment on whether the case is related to attacks in London last month.

Suicide bombers on July 7 killed 52 people on three subway trains and a bus in the British capital. On July 21, four bombs partly detonated on the city's transportation system without injuring anyone.


3 held in Wales under terror laws


LONDON, England (CNN) -- British police were questioning three men Friday detained in South Wales under anti-terrorism laws.

The three men, all from the southern Welsh city of Newport, were held overnight, police said.

"The three men were arrested by the Gwent Police yesterday under the Terrorism Act," a spokesman told CNN.

"The three men, all from the Newport area, were arrested yesterday afternoon after being detained on Chepstow Road in Newport. They are still being detained for questioning."

Police said inquiries were continuing.



Stadium 'possible terror target'
Wales' Millennium Stadium The stadium is expecting sell-out for the Wales-England match
A leading terrorism expert says key venues around the UK - including the Millennium Stadium - could be a possible target for attack.

Professor Michael Clarke of the Centre for Defence Studies at King's College, says it would be logical for the next attacks to be outside London.

Venues where crowds gather are likely to be at risk, he added. When asked, he agreed the stadium could be among them.

Police stress there is nothing to suggest a specific threat in Wales.

However, despite there being no intelligence to suggest terrorists are planning an attack in the area, the force has urged the public to remain vigilant.

Cardiff plays host to the Wales-England World Cup Qualifier a week on Saturday, with thousands of football fans expected to watch the game in city bars as well as in the stadium.

Professor Michael Clarke said while London was the obvious place for the first attack, terrorists are now likely to strike in towns and cities away from the British capital.

Millennium Stadium More than 70,000 people can fit in the ground on match day

"London is now a very difficult place to target for any potential terrorists groups so it's logical that somewhere out of London might be attractive to terrorists thinking about it," he said.

"What they are looking for is where the public congregate, targets which have a symbolic value in some way, because terrorists try to 'send a message' and also places where they feel security might be stretched because of a big event.

"Any big sporting venue could be a target. The objective now is to spread fear and so even the possibility of a terrorist attack in big venues can cause lots of headaches and keep the level of anxiety relatively high."

'Tried and tested plans'

But Paul Sergeant, General Manager at the Millennium Stadium, said Prof Clarke's claims were "nothing new" and the like any large venue, the stadium had taken measures to sep up security.

"Plans are revised on an event-by-event basis at the stadium as they are at every venue around the country," he told BBC Radio Wales.

He said one problem all such venues faced was sections of the media determined to "stitch up" venues by trying to sneak in a bag to test security arrangements.

"That diverts so much of people's time that it's completely uncalled for," he said.

South Wales Police Detective Chief Superintendent Geoff Cooper said: "A lot of planning has gone into the operations within south Wales, and clearly we've learnt lessons.

"We've been involved in the de-briefs that have taken place post the atrocities in London. So we constantly review what we have.

"There are tried and tested plans that have been rehearsed."

Printer-friendly version   Email this item to a friend