This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at

Abu Hamza al -Mazri loses battle to block extradition to the US for terrorism trial

June 20, 2008

Muslim cleric loses U.S. extradition appeal

Fri Jun 20, 2008

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri lost a court battle on Friday to block his extradition from Britain to the United States where he faces terrorism-related charges.

He had said the extradition request was founded on evidence obtained by torture.

His lawyers argued that to send him to the United States to face charges dating back to 2000 would be "unjust and oppressive" because of the length of time that has passed since then.

In dismissing the challenge, Igor Judge said: "The 2003 Extradition Act must be applied and our extradition commitments honored."

Hamza, who is serving a 7-year jail term in Britain for inciting his followers to murder non-believers, is accused of attempting to set up a terrorist training camp in Bly, Oregon, from 1999 to early 2000.

The Egyptian-born cleric, who applauded the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington in 2001, also faces charges that he was involved in plotting the seizure of 16 Western hostages in Yemen in 1998.

Four of the hostages, three Britons and an Australian, were killed when Yemeni troops stormed the militants' hide-out.

British police say his mosque in London had acted as a base for militants.

(Reporting by Paul Majendie, Editing by Alison Williams)


Profile: Abu Hamza

Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri, who is serving a seven-year sentence for inciting murder and racial hatred, has lost his battle to stop his extradition to the US.

ABU HAMZA FACTFILE Abu Hamza 15 April 1958 - born Alexandria, Egypt 1979 - travelled to England 1987 - meets founder of Afghan Mujahideen 1997 - arrives at Finsbury Park Mosque 2002 - gives speech praising 09/11 hijackers 2004 - arrested on terrorism charges 2006 - convicted and jailed for seven years 2008 - Home Secretary Jacqui Smith ratifies his extradition to face charges in the US

Born Mustafa Kamel Mustafa in Alexandria, Egypt, on 15 April 1958, Abu Hamza was the son of a naval officer and a primary school headmistress. He initially studied civil engineering before leaving for England in 1979.

In London, one of his first jobs was as a nightclub bouncer. He married a British woman and decided to resume his studies at Brighton Polytechnic.

His marriage rapidly broke down, but he later remarried and had seven children.

One of Abu Hamza's first major engineering contracts took him to Sandhurst, the Royal Military Academy. Technical drawings of the college were still in his home when he was arrested in 2004.

Meeting the Mujahideen

In the early 1980s the young Mustafa started to show an interest in Islam and politics. He was heavily influenced by the Iranian revolution, as were Osama Bin Laden and others.

Muslim thinkers were calling for Islamic states in Islamic lands. They had a military face in the Mujahideen fighters who, backed by the US, emerged to oppose the Soviet Union's occupation of Afghanistan.

When some of these veterans came to London for specialist medical treatment in Harley Street, Abu Hamza became one of their translators.

In 1987, these encounters led him to a critical experience: he met Sheikh Abdullah Azzam, the founder of the Afghan Mujahideen, while undertaking the Hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca.

Shortly afterwards, he packed his belongings into a crate marked for Afghanistan and, according to his evidence at his trial, "went there intending never to return".

Abu Hamza began working in the Jalalabad region, taking part in reconstruction schemes. It was during a related demining project that he lost his hands and one of his eyes.

He returned to the UK in 1993 for treatment. But within two years he had left Britain for a second time to support Bosnian Muslims during the worst of the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.

He was not the only British Muslim to go there - and the experience of those who did has played a key role in the radicalisation of Islamic politics in the UK.

In Afghanistan: Abu Hamza before losing his hands (right) In Afghanistan: Abu Hamza before losing his hands (right)

Abu Hamza quickly became a leading figure in the British Islamist scene. He was spending more and more of his time preaching while churning out leaflets calling for jihad against corrupt Middle East regimes.

In 1997, he arrived at Finsbury Park Mosque. During his trial, Abu Hamza told the Old Bailey he was invited to the mosque to resolve tensions between South Asian and North African prayer-goers.

Another theory suggests he gravitated to the mosque thanks to his political contacts in the Algerian community: Abu Hamza had been writing extensively about the Islamist GIA organisation which had been waging a violent campaign against the Algerian government.

Security services

While the precise details are unclear, there are suggestions that the police and intelligence services were already watching Abu Hamza along with other militants who had been permitted to settle in the UK. According to Abu Hamza himself, MI5 first contacted him in 1997 shortly after extremists massacred 68 tourists at Luxor, Egypt.

These meetings continued for some years, he told the Old Bailey, and included a warning that he was "walking a tightrope".

But it was in 1999 that Abu Hamza and Finsbury Park Mosque came to national prominence.

Scotland Yard questioned the cleric on suspicion of alleged bomb plots in Yemen. While Abu Hamza was released, his son, Mohammed Mustafa Kamel, was jailed in Yemen for three years for involvement in an alleged campaign of violence.

Despite this brush with the law, Abu Hamza was consolidating his hold at the mosque. It had become a hostile environment for anyone who was not a supporter, with his closest confidantes barring access to anyone they did not trust.

Mohammed Mustafa Kamel Jailed in Yemen: Abu Hamza's son Mohammed Mustafa Kamel

The original trustees were still the legal owners, but they had virtually no control over the mosque's day-to-day affairs. Many of the original congregation had turned elsewhere.

An attempt to resolve the stand-off came to nothing as a settlement between the trustees and Abu Hamza quickly unravelled.

Abu Hamza, referred to as "the Sheikh" by his followers, was delivering almost all of the sermons and permitting those sympathetic to his message to sleep in the premises. And on the first anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, he co-organised a conference at the mosque praising the hijackers.

Five years later the trial of the men later convicted of the failed 21/7 London bombings heard that several of them had gone along to hear Abu Hamza preach at the mosque on a number of occasions.

Time runs out

The security services were increasingly gathering intelligence on what was happening inside. Terrorism suspects had passed through the building while its office was being used to disseminate information to a network.

On 20 January 2003 police raided the building as part of a major investigation into an alleged plot to produce ricin poison. They sealed the mosque and handed it back to the trustees.

Supporters: Controlled Finsbury Park Mosque Supporters controlled Finsbury Park Mosque

Abu Hamza himself was not arrested in connection with that probe. But despite being denied a base, he preached outside its gates every Friday.

This bizarre stand-off between Abu Hamza and the authorities continued into 2004. Then, Washington named Abu Hamza as a "terrorist facilitator with a global reach" and he was arrested pending extradition.

Five months later, he was charged with 15 UK offences associated with his sermons and information contained in the Encyclopaedia of Afghan Jihad.

'Racial hatred'

In February 2006 Abu Hamza was convicted of 11 of the 15 charges and jailed for seven years.

His was found guilty of six charges of soliciting to murder, three charges related to "stirring up racial hatred", one of owning recordings related to "stirring up racial hatred", and further charge of possessing a "terrorist encyclopaedia".

In the mean time, the US authorities had been seeking his extradition so they could also try him for terror-related matters.

In May 2007, two years after the US authorities first filed their extradition request and with Abu Hamza still in jail, proceedings began to extradite him to the United States.

Six months later a court in London approved the extradition request pending confirmation from the home secretary.

Then in early February 2008, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith ratified the court's decision, clearing the way for Abu Hamza to be handed over to the US authorities.

In May 2008 he challenged the decision at the High Court, with his lawyers arguing torture had been used on some individuals in the gathering of information.

But this was rejected by judges who described the extradition decision as "unassailable."


UK approves Hamza extradition Abu Hamza could face extradition Abu Hamza 'plotted Jihad' Q&A: Extradition process Abu Hamza: US allegations

HAMZA JAILED IN UK Hamza jailed for seven years Key to proving Hamza's hate Views of radical cleric Hamza 'Joint effort' in Hamza hate case

BACKGROUND Profile: Abu Hamza Mosque's terror connections The battle for the mosque In quotes: Hamza's preachings

This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at