This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at

Arabs lynch Jew who was handcuffed and in police custody

Instead of tending to wounded - Arabs storm bus and beat manacled prisoner
August 7, 2005

The manacled hand of Eden Natan-Zada, shown on the bus after he was dead.
Arabs threaten riot if police probe lynch, lie about manacled shooter
By israelinsider staff and partners August 7, 2005
The High Mnitoring Committee of the Israeli Arab leadership called on the government Saturday to refrain from investigating the death of Eden Natan-Zada, the shooter in the Shfaram bus.

Israeli Communist ["Hadash"] party chairman, MK Muhammad Barakeh, speaking on Israel Army Radio, warned of mass protest actions of Arab-Israelis if the police investigate who was involved in the murder of Natan-Zada, who is believed to have killed four Arabs before being killed by members of a mob who climbed on the bus and beat him to death.

Barakeh claimed that the soldier was hit to prevent him from killing more people and denied that he was murdered after being handcuffed. "We're speaking about self-defense. The man tried to exchange his ammunition cartridge and these were the seconds given to overpower him. People tried to neutralize him. That's it."

However, Shfaram's security officer, Jamal Aliam, told Army Radio that Zada had been attacked by dozens after he had been handcuffed and subdued by police. Photographs from the scene show the body of Natan-Zada with his hand manacled. Unless he was handcuffed after death, he could have posed no threat. The photographic evidence indicates that Barakeh was lying and demands further investigation.

Channel Two screened still photos of Natan-Zada on the bus with his hands manacled and bound by his shirt, still alive, and then several minutes later, dead, after "dozens" of local Arabs overwhelmed the few policemen on the bus assaulted the defenseless prisoners with blows and objects.

Also unanswered is how the Israeli police could allow the mob to rule the scene for nearly five hours without intervening.

On numerous occasions, Israeli police have intervened after terror attack by Arab Muslims with Jewish victims, protecting the attackers so that he or she could be tried in Israeli courts. In the present occasion, not only was there inadequate police protection, the mob actually attacked the police on the bus, causing injury. And to add insult, the police reportedly allowed an Arab doctor onto the bus, at the demand of the mob, to confirm that Natan-Zada was in fact dead.

According to Barakeh, the crowd attacked Zada out of concern he would continue with his shooting rampage. He denied that Zada was beaten after being handcuffed by police.

Other Israeli Arabs apparently are gearing up for more mob confrontations. The head of the Islamic Movement's northern faction, Sheikh Ra'ed Salah, who was recently released from prison, called on Israeli Arabs to come in masses to the Temple Mount in Jerusalem on Tisha B'av to defend the holy site from anti-disengagement activists who plan a rally there.


Zada Finally Buried; His Death Will be Investigated
17:37 Aug 07, '05 / 2 Av 5765
By Hillel Fendel

Eden Natan Zada, the soldier who shot and killed four Israeli-Arabs on a bus in the Galilee town of Shfar'am on Thursday, was buried in a civilian ceremony in Rishon LeTzion today.

The funeral was held in Zada's hometown, ending almost three days of controversy over where to bury him.

The army had originallly agreed to bury him in a semi-military ceremony on Friday, but shortly before the funeral was to begin, Defense Minister Sha'ul Mofaz, responding to pressures, vetoed the idea.

Later, Meir Nitzan, the mayor of Rishon LeTzion, announced that he would not permit the burial in the city's cemetery - despite the automatic right of every city citizen to be buried in his town.

This morning, the Prime Minister's Bureau overruled Nitzan and decreed that Zada should be buried in Rishon LeTzion.

Zada's parents had made personal pleas to both Mofaz and Nitzan, asking that their son be treated like a "person." They had been considering petitioning to the Supreme Court against the delay in his burial. Nitzan, in finally agreeing to bury Zada in his city, said that the murderer's father had "threatened" him.

Public Security Minister Gideon Ezra said that he would investigate the circumstances of Zada's death. "When a mob falls upon a man who is already neutralized and handcuffed, this is something of utmost gravity," Ezra said, "and it will be investigated." He also said that those in the mob who attacked policemen will be investigated.

Zada was killed by the Arabs on the bus in what was described as a lynching. Arab spokespersons said that the killing was done in self-defense, but Channel Ten has footage showing that Zada was unarmed when he was killed. The clips also show that two policemen were on the bus when the soldier was murdered.

This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at