This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/783

The killers next door - police look at Muslims in Leeds for links to bombings- Police " Another attack is likely- when who knows "

July 12, 2005

MIM: A few months ago Omar Bakri Mohammed the head of Al Muhajiroun told Muslims that the 'convenant with security with the UK ' was no longer valid and urged Muslims to 'become suicide bombers on your doorstep'. His instructions were heeded as police revealed that at leas one of the bombers died in the blast. In addition they have found information on surveillance cameras and personal documents which have made them turn their attention to the city of Leeds and Luton, which has one of the largest Muslim communities in the UK . Luton was one of the main bases of Al Muhajroun.

A Muslim from Luton perpetrated a suicide bombing attack in Israel in 2003 and had been directly influenced by Omar Bakri Mohammed which once again begs the question as to why he and his followers have not yet been arrested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4674463.stm

Scene of bus explosion The bus explosion killed 13 passengers

On Monday, Susan Levy, 53,

One London bomber died in blast Police believe at least one of the suspected London bombers died in Thursday's blasts.

They said there was forensic evidence that the bomber responsible for the train explosion at Aldgate died there.

Personal documents of three suspects were also found close to the explosions suggesting all four died in the blasts.

One man has been arrested in Yorkshire and taken to London for questioning after police raids in Leeds and the seizure of a car in Luton.

Earlier police carried out controlled explosions in Leeds and Luton and searched six houses.

Meanwhile police in Leeds are looking for explosives and have already seized some material.

An unoccupied house in the Burley area of Leeds was one of six raided in Leeds after the attacks.

Up to 600 people have been evacuated from the area.

Police cleared people from homes as well as a mosque, a health centre and an old people's home.


Bomb disposal unit The army has been helping the police with the operation


Parts of the Beeston area of Leeds has been cordoned off, as well as a street in Dewsbury near the city.

Inspector Miles Himsworth said the operation was being led by the Metropolitan Police Anti-Terrorist officers with the support of West Yorkshire Police and the Army Bomb Disposal Unit.

He said the house at which the controlled explosion took place officers were searching for explosives and other material.

He said that may include computers, and a "careful and meticulous search" would be carried out.

Luton station closed

Aerial view of the house being searched for explosives The police mood is said to be "buoyant" about the developments

Meanwhile in Luton the railway

Anti-terrorism officers launched the first raids in the Leeds area on six houses at about 0630 BST.

One evacuated resident Nathan Clark, said people were "shocked" at what was happening.

"Everyone is amazed that it is happening on their doorstep," he told BBC News.

Meanwhile in Luton the railway station has been closed and a cordon placed around an area that also covers the bus station and parts of Luton University campus.

Police said a car they believe may be connected to the London bombs has been found in the car park.

Earlier the Met commissioner Sir Ian Blair confirmed the operation "is directly connected to the outrages on Thursday".

Sir Ian said London, as well as New York, continued to be "major terrorist targets".

He said: "Another attack is likely, there's no question about that. When, who knows."

The Yorkshire searches were carried out after warrants were issued under the Terrorism Act 2000.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said the police were acting on information from searches at the scenes of the crimes in London.

Five victims have been formally identified out of 52 people confirmed killed in last Thursday's explosions on three Underground trains and a bus.

Several families have received official confirmation of the deaths of loved ones.

Queen donates

The police released the names of two further victims on Tuesday - Philip Stuart Russell, 28, of Kennington, south London, and Jamie Gordon, 30.

Mr Gordon's family described him in a statement as a "kind, caring person who always put other people first".

Two other victims were formally identified on Tuesday, but their families asked for the names not to be released immediately.

On Monday, Susan Levy, 53, from Hertfordshire, was the first victim of the bombings to be officially identified by coroners.

Meanwhile in London, Prime Minister Tony Blair has signed the official book of condolences for victims at city hall.

The Queen has made a "substantial donation" to a fund set up to help the families of people killed and injured in the attacks, it has been announced.

Buckingham Palace did not reveal how much had been pledged to the London Bombings Relief Charitable Fund set up on Friday by Mayor Ken Livingstone and the British Red Cross.

An anti-terrorist hotline for anyone who might have information for the police has been set up on 0800 789 321 .

Beeston in Leeds Police are searching five properties in the Leeds area

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4674463.stm

Houses searched in bomb inquiry

Six homes in West Yorkshire have been searched by police investigating last week's London bombings.

Anti-terror officers launched the raids in the Leeds area at about 0630 BST but so far have made no arrests.

The operation came as Sir Ian Blair, Met Police Commissioner, warned another attack on London was "likely".

Five victims have been formally identified out of 52 people confirmed killed in last Thursday's explosions on three Underground trains and a bus.

Parts of Beeston and Holbeck, suburbs of Leeds, have been cordoned off, as well as a street in Dewsbury near Leeds.

Catherine Marston, BBC north of England correspondent, said a sixth address in Burley, Leeds, is also being searched.

The Met commissioner confirmed the operation "is directly connected to the outrages on Thursday".

His great sense of humour and personable nature put him centre stage with family and friends
Bomb victim Jamie Gordon's family statement

Sir Ian said London, as well as New York, continued to be "major terrorist targets".

He said: "Another attack is likely, there's no question about that. When, who knows."

The Yorkshire searches were carried out after warrants were issued under the Terrorism Act 2000.

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said the police were acting on information from searches at the scenes of the crimes in London.

Official confirmation

Meanwhile in London, Prime Minister Tony Blair has signed the official the book of condolences for victims at city hall.

And several families have received official confirmation of the deaths of loved ones.

The police released the names of two further victims on Tuesday - Philip Stuart Russell, 28, of Kennington, south London, and Jamie Gordon, 30.

Mr Gordon's family described him in a statement as a "kind, caring person who always put other people first".

It read: "His great sense of humour and personable nature put him centre stage with family and friends."

Two other victims were formally identified on Tuesday, but their families asked for the names not to be released immediately.

On Monday, Susan Levy, 53, from Hertfordshire, was the first victim of the bombings to be officially identified by coroners.

'Agonies'

In his interview with BBC London, Sir Ian also said "some of the agonies" of recent days "would be solved" by identity cards.

But Home Secretary Charles Clarke has said earlier he did not believe identity cards would have prevented the bombings.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, announced on Monday the opening of a memorial fund set up with the Red Cross.

The fund has already donated 50,000 to help victims and their families.

An anti-terrorist hotline for anyone who might have information for the police has been set up on 0800 789 321 .

-----------------------------

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA3169691121155302A0000?source=PA%20Feed&ct=5

This is
LONDON
12/07/05 - News section

Five homes searched in bombs probe

Anti-terror police have carried out a series of dawn raids in West Yorkshire in connection with the London bombings.

Officers from Scotland Yard and West Yorkshire Police raided five residential addresses in the Leeds area as part of a "pre-planned, intelligence-led operation".

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said the raids were "directly connected" to Thursday's atrocity.

He told BBC London: "There have been a series of searches carried out in Yorkshire. Those searches are still going on. There's very little else I can say at the moment, but this activity is directly connected to the outrages on Thursday."

No one has been arrested, but the searches were continuing at all five houses.

Police cordoned off a white semi-detached house in Colwyn Road, a quiet residential street in the Beeston area of Leeds. A red Volkswagen car parked directly outside the house was also cordoned off.

Around 20 uniformed police officers, unmarked police vehicles and police vans were at the scene. A section of Tempest Road, which runs parallel to Colwyn Road, was also sealed off.

Police have been examining the theory that those responsible for Thursday's attacks could have been "away day" bombers, who arrived in the capital to plant the devices and then fled.

It has also been suggested that the bombers could have met at King's Cross station as all three Tube trains which were hit had passed through there on the morning of the blasts.

The bus which was ripped apart by an explosion 57 minutes after the Tube bombs detonated had also come from that direction. Trains from Leeds to London arrive at King's Cross station.

This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/783