This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/717
"Whoever runs from terror - terror will chase after him" Arabs emboldened by Israeli show of weakness
June 29, 2005
IM:The terrrorist murders of Avichai Levi, 17 and Aviad Mantzur 16 were ignored by the Israeli media and politicians who do not want the public to see that terrorism is continuing unabated despite the statements to the contrary. The shootings of the two teenage boys who were waiting for a ride and were executions. The terrorists passed the boys, made a U turn , came back and shot both of them in the head. One died immediately and the other lanquished for several days until he succumbed to his wounds. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=84642
The murder of two Israelis last week was also also given little coverage in the press due to the Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's promise to do everything he could to shore up Mazen's image as a peace partner instead of the terrorist leader that he really is. The killers were affiliated with Abu Mazen's Fatah.
Another thrwarted terrorist attack was claimed by Ramadan Shallah's Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Last week Shallah who was responsible for a recent suicide bombing said terrorists would attack Tel Aviv.
MIM: Proof that the Arabs see the deportation of Jews in Gaza as just the first step towards wiping Israel off the map is the fact that they are upset that the Jews in Gaza are being deported to other parts of Israel( which they consider to be one large settlement) which they want to make Judenrein as well.
",..Palestinians welcome any Israeli withdrawals from lands occupied in the 1967 war. But they suspect Sharon intends to leave Gaza mainly in order to cement Israel's hold on much larger settlements in the West Bank..."
Mohammed Dahlan again, now the PA's man dealing with the Israeli withdrawal, is paraphrased saying that the Palestinians "would deal with any Israeli withdrawal from any piece of land as a victory for the will of the Palestinians." (June 29, 2005)
Terrorists exploited goodwill gestures'
BEIT HAGGAI - The terrorists who staged the latest West Bank shooting attack, which left one Israeli dead, took advantage of the easing of restrictions on Palestinian movement in the southern Mount Hebron area, Judea Brigade Commander Colonel Moti Baruch said.
Following the attack, Palestinian freedom of movement in the area has been curbed in a bid to prevent further attacks, he said, and added the manhunt for the terror cell behind the latest shooting continues through an intelligence effort and other means.
On Friday afternoon, Palestinian terrorists opened fire on a group of Israeli youths waiting at a hitchhiking post outside the West bank settlement of Beit Haggai, southwest of Hebron.
A 15-year-old was killed and four others were wounded in the attack.
Preliminary reports indicate that, at around 4:45 PM, a white car initially passed the hitchhiking post, but made a U-turn when those inside saw the teens waiting there. The vehicle then stopped in front of the post, and someone inside opened fire on the youths and on a family in a blue car that had stopped to give them a lift.
Yochai Damari , the brother of a severely wounded teen, said that his brother called his parents to tell them about the attack.
IDF, police and Magen David Adom personnel were called to the scene.
Avi Reshef, a paramedic from Kiryat Arba, was on duty when he got the news about the incident.
"We received a report about a shooting at Beit Haggai. We left with paramedics and a doctor. One of those hit was already dead," Reshef said. "There was nothing we could do besides certify his death."
Amir and Ra'ut Azoulay were in the blue car with their four-year-old when they were lightly wounded by shrapnel. They managed to drive away, but the more seriously were evacuated by helicopter to Jerusalem's Hadassah Ein-Kerem Hospital and Beer Sheva's Soroka Medical Center.
The names of the dead teen and the more seriously injured will not given out until Saturday night, after Shabbat.
The "Martyr Massoud Iyad" cell, affiliated with Fatah's al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades , took responsibility for the drive-by. There was no additional shooting at Adurayim as previously reported; rather, the Azoulays drove to an IDF checkpoint there to get help.
An al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade commander told Ynet that the attack was "a response to Israeli violations of the cease-fire."
Settler response: We told you so
Har Hebron council head Tzviki Bar-Chai said that the terrorists were emboldened but what they saw as "Israeli weakness."
"The flight from the Gaza Strip encourages them to commit more terrorist attacks until they expel us from all of the Land of Israel," Bar-Chai said, adding that the giving up of Qalqilya and Bethlehem also blows wind into the sails of the terrorists.
The Yesha settler council sources said, "Whoever runs from terror, terror will chase after him ... Just as we warned in the past, with the impending disengagement and fleeing part of the land, the terrorists will commit more attacks."
By contrast, a man who recently finished up his army service in the area of Beit Haggai told Ynet that the attack was entirely predictable given the dangerous location of the hitchhiking post.
"The hitchhiking post is 200 meters from the settlement and 800 meters from the IDF base defending it ," he noted. "Every Friday, we would see kids leaving the settlement do go to the post. As much as we warned them about the angers of the place, they still refused to stand closer to the settlement. They said God would protect them."
Elsewhere in the West Bank
The Palestinian Islamic Jihad took credit for the attack.
Hours later a Palestinian was killed by IDF fire near Netzarim and entry to Israel through the Erez Checkpoint was closed off.
Ali Waked, Ahiya Raved, Ronny Sofer and Doron Sheffer contributed to this report
Palestinians Hit the West Bank as Foretaste of Pre-Disengagement Terror Campaign
DEBKAfile Special Report and Analysis
June 25, 2005, 1:40 PM (GMT+02:00)
The 17-year old Israeli student shot dead by a Palestinian drive-by killer squad Friday evening June 24 near Beit Haggai, Mt. Hebron, was the third pre-disengagement victim of four Palestinian terrorist attacks this week. Five Israelis were also injured, one seriously. Earlier, Sgt-Maj Avi Karuchi, 25, from Beersheba, and Yevgeni Rider, 28, from Hermesh, were murdered in a revival of Palestinian violence which is focusing again on the West Bank.
This resurgence of violence erupted on June 19 as US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice made her foredoomed attempt to persuade Palestinian leaders to cooperate in Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip. Her quest for a diplomatic understanding was worse than fruitless; it was reciprocated by a dangerous new spiral of Palestinian violence and threats, as DEBKAfile's counter-terror experts note:
1. By these attacks, the Palestinians are signaling their determination to keep Israel's pullbacks from the Gaza Strip and the northern West Bank under fire. The comparative lull, such as it was, is over as of now. (DEBKAfile reported on April 11 that Abbas' own Fatah had preset the Palestinian terrorist machine to go into full gear in Gaza and the West Bank in the second half of June. article
2. As the mid-August evacuation date nears, the attacks will also spread across the Green Line into Israel. Defense minister Shaul Mofaz has said that if Palestinian fire continues after Israel's withdrawal, the IDF will be forced to retake parts of the Gaza Strip. The new reality requires the extension of his threat to the West Bank too.
3. The fresh onslaught is a combined effort of all the Palestinian terrorist factions. It is not confined to the Jihad Islami. Therefore, Israel forces' mass detentions this week of its adherents will not dent the new campaign. The Palestinian woman apprehended at the Gaza Strip's crossing into Israel on June 20 on her way to blow up the Soroka hospital in Beersheba admitted she was had been sent by the Fatah-al Aqsa Brigades to blow up the hospital where she had received medical treatment herself.
4. The drive-by shooting in Mt. Hebron, in the southern half of the West Bank, was staged directly after Mofaz visited Hebron and ordered Israeli military positions and checkpoints dismantled, in response to US and European pressure. The Sharon government also ordered the military to prepare for the handover of Bethlehem and Qalqilya to Palestinian security control in the next week or two. The Palestinians were replying that nothing Israel can do in the way of concessions, gestures or eased restrictions will prevent the violence escalating, although their leaders will continue to badger Israel for more.
5. Restoring Bethlehem to Palestinian control augurs fresh attacks on nearby Jerusalem.
6. Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and his ministers have no control over the terrorist groups. Therefore their promises to deploy forces for maintaining order are bouncing checks.
7. Masoud Iyad served Yasser Arafat as his personal go-between with the Lebanese Hizballah terrorist leader Hassan Nasrallah. By naming the Friday attack in Mt. Hebron the Masoud Iyad Operation, the Fatah let Abu Mazen know that the organization remains faithful to Yasser Arafat's path and owes the new leader no loyalty. Fatah, like Hamas, recognizes the Lebanese terror group as its sole partner in action.
Four years ago, on February 21, 2001, Israeli helicopter-borne missiles killed Iyad, having discovered that four months before Arafat declared his confrontation with Israel, he had been sent to Beirut to set up a close operational cooperation with the Lebanese group. Arafat told him to buy from the Hizballah quantities of weapons and commission its assistance in the coming conflict in the form of instructors, experts in suicide attacks and specialists in the manufacture of mortars and other weapons.
It was then that the Palestinians began experimenting with the development of Qassam surface missiles.
The return of Arafat's messenger from Lebanon was soon followed by arms deliveries and Hizballah experts and specialists. They worked under the protection of Palestinian security services on the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The officer in charge of looking after the Lebanese visitors and assigning them to the different Palestinian security services was Mohammed Dahlan, Abbas' current minister for civilian affairs.
By recalling Iyad Masoud's name, the Palestinian organizations are announcing that the terror war Arafat launched against Israel in 2000 is far from over; it is entering its next phase.
Govīt Silent on Arab Murder of Two Teens Sunday, June 26, 2005
Despite More Killings, IDF to Hand Bethlehem Over to PA Tuesday, June 28, 2005 / 21 Sivan 5765
Despite an uspurge in terror, with four Jews killed in the past two weeks, Israel is planning on handing over Bethlehem to PA control. The IDF is opposed.
The decision to go ahead with the handover was finalized on Monday in the Prime Minister's office. The IDF, citing the terrorist murder of four Israelis over the past two weeks, opposes the move, but has been ordered by the government to carry it out.
IDF officials have said that last Friday's murder of two Jewish youngsters near Beit Hagai in southern Judea was facilitated by the government's decision to remove
roadblocks in order to ease restrictions on Arab traffic.
Senior army commanders have warned that handing over another city to PA control - Tul Karem was handed over three months ago - would be interpreted by the PA as a form of Israeli acceptance of Palestinian terror, which shows no signs of abating.
IDF commanders also warned government officials that handing Bethlehem over to PA, under the present conditions, would turn that city into a refuge for terrorists who would exploit the absence of the IDF to launch terrorist attacks.
During the Oslo war, Bethlehem and its environs were used as bases for launching suicide attacks against Israelis. Arab terrorists also used the city's proximity to Jerusalem to launch mortar attacks on the Gilo neighborhood. The attacks stopped only after the IDF retook the city during Operation Defensive Shield, which followed the April 2002 bombing of the Park Hotel in Netanya.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon reportedly is going ahead with the handover in order to make good on his promise to PA chief Mahmoud Abbas last February in Sharm el-Sheikh. He promised at the time to roll back the IDF presence in Judea and Samaria and restore the security situation that existed prior to Operation Defensive Shield.
Before that operation, the PA was responsible for providing security and fighting terrorism in Arab populated cities in Judea and Samaria. Israel relinquished control of those cities following the implementation of the ill-fated Oslo Accords in 1995.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=84739Shelling Bombardment in Katif, Two Shock Victims Treated
Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Palestinian terrorists fired a total of five mortar shells and a Kassam rocket at N'vei Dekalim over the night. No damage was caused, but two people were treated for shock.
Earlier this week, the IDF, with the help of Arab sources, uncovered a 20-meter long tunnel leading to the industrial zone in N'vei Dekalim. The tunnel was designed to transport terrorists or weapons from the Arab-populated city of Khan Yunis to the nearby Jewish town. It detoured around the IDF's Tufah checkpoint, and army officials say it appears to have been dug recently.
The IDF later announced Tawfik Bardwil, 22, an Islamic Jihad terrorist from Khan Yunis, is responsible for the digging of the tunnel. Currently in IDF custody, he admitted under questioning that he and another terrorist planned to carry out a suicide bombing attack in Gush Katif.
Bardwil's terror cell is also responsible for digging the explosives tunnel uncovered near the community of Ganei Tal on May 31.
A gathering of youth from Gush Katif will be held this evening at 7:30 PM at the Tiferet Yisrael synagogue just outside N'vei Dekalim. The youth will be addressed by local Chief Rabbi Yigal Kaminetzky and Gush Katif spokesman Eran Sternberg.
This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/717