This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at

Jihad in France? : Talk of war as rioting Muslims wage urban warfare in Paris suburbs

Genesis of a riot - survivor of power plant electrocution tells what happened from hospital bed
November 2, 2005

MIM: The situation in France reflects the fears which the UK government expressed in a recent paper about a homegrown Muslim insurgency by youths of African origin. In an article last week,entitled "Europe Under Siege" Dr. Daniel Pipes accurately predicated that the immigration situation in Europe could threaten their survival.

"...The British government recently published a paper warning a Muslim insurgency by men who had immigrated from countries where they had undergone military training:

August 7, 2005

"...Intelligence chiefs are warning Tony Blair that Britain faces a full-blown Islamist insurgency, sustained by thousands of young Muslim men with military training now resident in this country.

The grim possibility that the two London attacks were not simply a sporadic terror campaign is being discussed at the highest levels in Whitehall. Fears of a third strike remain high this weekend, based on concrete evidence supplied by an intercepted text message and the interrogation of a terror suspect being held outside Britain, say US reports.

As police and the security services work to prevent another cell murdering civilians, attention is focusing on the pool of migrants to this country from the Horn of Africa and central Asia. MI5 is working to an estimate that more than 10,000 young men from these regions have had at least basic training in light weapons and military explosives..."

. In a recent article entitled "Europe Under Siege" Dr.Daniel Pipes predicted that the problem of Muslim immigrants in Europe would lead to major social upheaval and crisis: "

"..Giant smuggling rings and human waves cascading over fortified positions represent the starkest manifestations of profound and growing dilemmas: how islands of peace and plenty survive in an ocean of war and deprivation, how a diminishing European population retains its historic culture, and how states from Turkey to Mali to Mexico solve their problems rather than export them.

With no solutions in sight, however, there is every reason to expect these problems to worsen..."

October 18, 2005


Chirac urges calm as suburban riots spread

By Katrin Bennhold International Herald Tribune

AULNAY-SOUS-BOIS, France President Jacques Chirac appealed for calm on Wednesday after rioting spread in several of the suburbs surrounding Paris and criticism of the government's handling of the crisis grew louder. For six successive nights, angry youths have clashed with the police in housing projects on the northern fringe of the capital, vast pockets of concrete that are home to many immigrants. In the latest violence, early Wednesday, about 180 cars were set on fire in the greater Paris region and 34 people were arrested, police officials said.

The nightly riots, which first erupted in one suburb, Clichy-sous-Bois, after two teenagers died there last Thursday, have since spread to at least nine neighboring towns. They have also reignited a debate about how to halt the cycle of immigration, joblessness and crime in these impoverished areas, which lie a mere 15-minute car ride away from Paris's affluent center. Chirac waded into the debate on Wednesday by calling for a firm response to the violence. But in an apparent effort to ward off criticism of police heavy-handedness, the president also urged dialogue. "Tempers need to cool," Chirac told ministers during a cabinet meeting on Wednesday. "We can't have a law-free zone in the Republic," he went on to say. "A lack of dialogue and an escalation of disrespectful behavior will lead to a dangerous situation."

According to residents in Aulnay-sous-Bois, one of the worst-hit suburban towns on Wednesday morning, the situation has already become dangerous. Abdel Srhiri, 52, a Moroccan immigrant, said that when he was taking a walk with his family after dinner on Tuesday, he witnessed riot police firing rubber bullets at local teenagers, who in turn hurled bottles at the officers. "Bullets were flying through the air and there was broken glass - it was war, right here," said Srhiri, pointing to a commercial center. He said in his 28 years in France - and in this neighborhood - he had never seen anything like this. "There is real aggression in the air."

In several interviews, residents reflecting on the sudden escalation of violence said they wanted peace to return to their neighborhood. But few expressed trust in the government or the police to restore order - indeed, many said recent hard-line comments by Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy had only made things worse. Sarkozy, who is also the head of the governing Union for a Popular Movement and is vying with Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin to become his party's presidential candidate in 2007, has promised to "clean" the suburbs of their "riffraff" and fight a "war without mercy" in an open bid to attract far-right voters. "The kids here have understood Nicolas Sarkozy's message as a declaration of war," said Mohammed Benali, 51, shaking his head at the burned-out carcass of a car. "He has provoked them, and his riot police with their rubber bullets and water cannon have provoked them, too."

Criticism of the police among Muslim communities has grown louder ever since two teenagers, aged 15 and 17, were electrocuted after reportedly fleeing from the police last Thursday and hiding near an electrical transformer in Clichy-sous-Bois, setting off the first round of riots. Three days later a tear-gas grenade of the kind used by the police landed in one of the town's mosques. The government has promised to investigate both incidents; the police have said that they had not been chasing the youths. Villepin on Wednesday postponed a trip to Canada, while Sarkozy canceled a visit in Afghanistan and Pakistan as both men scrambled to contain the wave of violence and criticism. The riots have become the latest issue to highlight the rivalry between the two men. Like many residents here, Srhiri said he believed gangs of unruly youth demanded a firm hand. He recounted how earlier this week a group of teenagers broke into a van and stole about 500 pairs of running shoes he planned to sell on the market the next day. But for him the images of Muslim youth hauling gasoline bombs and bottles at advancing police officers in riot gear have become a powerful illustration of the failure by France to integrate its citizens of North African descent. "If the government really wants to solve the problems here they should do something about unemployment, discrimination and schools," he said.

In France, a third of an estimated six million citizens of North African descent live in suburban ghettos. Unemployment among Algerians and Moroccans, the largest immigrant groups, hovers above the 30 percent mark, compared with a nationwide rate of 9.6 percent, a study by the Paris-based Montaigne Institute showed last year. According to Christophe Bertossi, an immigration specialist at the French Institute of International Relation in Paris, part of the problem is the concept that everyone in the country is equal. Behind this veil of equality, he says, discrimination flourishes, feeding longstanding racial divisions and depriving immigrants of wealth and opportunity. "The idea that we are all equal is fiction and these riots illustrate that," Bertossi said. "Ethnic minorities are a reality in France but they keep being told that they don't exist. Burning cars and throwing Molotov cocktails is one way of being noticed."


MIM: The French paper L'Express published an article with an account by the surviving friend of the two Muslim youths who told police from his hospital bed how they electrocuted themselves at the power station.

Translated by Beila Rabinowitz director of Militant Islam Monitor


Urban Violence - Nights which are making Clichy tremble

by Romain Rosso

"It all began with a telephone call to the police. It was about 5:17 ,Thursday the 27th of October when a resident of Ligny - Gargan reported that some youths had broken into a demolition site. Among the dozens of adolescents who were returning from a local football game in the area, scores of them had already descended to traverse the palisades when a car from the anti criminality brigade, which had been alerted by the radio had stopped at the location to question those who appeared ready to cause trouble.

But why did they run?

The youth panicked and began to run. A usual reaction in the suburbs when a police car approaches, even if one has done nothing wrong. Five minors who were interrogated by police agents who called for reenforcements were brought to their parents during the evening. Three boys, Bounna, Ziad, and Metin, tried to make themselves scarce at the edge of a deserted area, several meters from the old transformer of Clichy -sous -Bois, where two entered and died. This central is extremely dangerous and is protected by elevated walls and signs with a death's head symbol.

Were they chased by the police? That is one of the crucial questions in this affair. That rumor, in any case, which was immediately repeated, spread like wildfire throughout the city.

One cannot know what transpired next except for the testimony of a survivor who was critically burned. Metin, who is Turkish,was interrogated in his hospital bed, and the injured youth explained that he had followed his two friends, who had shouted for him to run. "But why should we run?" he demanded after several minutes. Arriving in front of the transformer, the two boys managed to quickly scale the two old walls,in spite of the barbed wire.

Once inside the building the youths caught their breaths and began talking. "If I am busted by the civils (police) my father will send me away, one of the youths is supposed to have said, according to the investigators report.One of them had already had had a brush with the police, for a minor infraction. Around a half an hour later, one of them, probably Metin, approached the generator. A 20,000 volt current coursed through him, killing his two friends who were horrifically burnt alive, which explains his survival. The police who had stayed behind to question some other youths arrived at the Commissariat during that quarter of an hour. They were in the process of relaying their report when there was an electrical interruption, exactly at 6:12 pm, the hour when the youths were hit by the phenomenon of an arc of electricity.

When he regained conciousness Metin and his clothes were on fire. In spite of being in shock he managed to climb the walls and walk several meters to alert his friends at a commercial center. They were the ones who alerted the fire department at 6:44 . Seven minutes later the fire department's company 14 arrived at the scene.The firemen were forced to break open the door at Rue du Bois which was shut. They saw two incinerated corpses, but could not enter the area of the generator until before the electrical company shut off the current. During that time they approached Metin, who had returned near the woods. In the meantime an ambulance had arrived at the scene. A crowd gathered. The atmosphere grew heated . Some of them were angry at the ambulance which took the corpses. The ambulance was forced to flee. The youth was treated a bit further, in a quiet street, a nurse confided. In the car, Metin, shocked but concious, explained why he had run in front of the other youths.

The tragic news spread quickly in the suburb of Chene -Pointu, in the center of Clichy,which is where the victims came from. One heard about the burning of cars that night already,said a fireman. But not at this level now. The situation deteriorated later that night. Hundreds of youths began to attack public buildings. A group attempted to force their way into the mayors office. Attacks took place in front of the firehouse, where the police had been stationed. In passing, a truck of fireman came under attack.The head of the firebrigade of Paris decided to put in motion the "Red Plan" urban unrest, a directive rarely used ,in which no vehicle could travel without a police escort.

Violences urbaines Ces nuits qui ont fait trembler Clichy
par Romain Rosso

Une banale ronde policière et la mort de deux adolescents atrocement électrocutés ont enflammé cette cité de la banlieue parisienne. Pourquoi et comment cette colère monte-t-elle de plus en plus vite? Récit

C'est un volcan qui s'est réveillé ces derniers jours à Clichy-sous-Bois (Seine-Saint-Denis), après l'annonce de la mort, par électrocution, de deux adolescents, dans un transformateur EDF. Une éruption soudaine de colère et de haine, s'échappant d'un magma d'incompréhension. Une flambée de violence venant s'ajouter à la liste des «troubles urbains», qui en disent long sur l'état précaire de certaines banlieues prêtes à s'embraser. Ces événements montrent qu'à tout moment elles peuvent basculer dans la guérilla. Récit de ces jours et de ces nuits brûlantes qui ont fait trembler Clichy, et menacent de contagion toute la Seine-Saint-Denis, comme l'ont montré des affrontements dans d'autres cités, dans la nuit du 31 octobre au 1er novembre.

Tout part d'un coup de téléphone à la police. Il est environ 17 h 15, ce jeudi 27 octobre, lorsqu'un habitant de Livry-Gargan signale que des jeunes pénètrent dans un chantier de démolition. Sur la dizaine d'adolescents - qui reviennent d'un match de football de quartier - plusieurs se seraient déjà glissés à travers les palissades lorsqu'une voiture de la brigade anticriminalité, alertée par radio, s'arrête sur les lieux et interpelle l'un d'eux, qui semble faire le guet.

«Mais pourquoi on court?»
Les jeunes paniquent et s'éparpillent en courant. Une attitude habituelle en banlieue à l'approche d'un véhicule de police, même si l'on n'a rien à se reprocher. Cinq mineurs, rapidement interpellés par d'autres agents appelés en renfort, seront d'ailleurs remis à leurs parents dans la soirée. Trois garçons, Bounna, Ziad et Metin, se précipitent alors pour se cacher au bout d'un terrain vague, à quelques centaines de mètres de là, dans l'enceinte du transformateur de Clichy-sous-Bois, où deux d'entre eux vont trouver la mort. Cette centrale extrêmement dangereuse est pourtant protégée par des murs élevés et des panneaux à tête de mort. Ont-ils été pourchassés par la police? C'est l'une des questions cruciales de cette affaire. Cette rumeur, en tout cas, immédiatement répandue, va embraser toute la cité.

On ne connaît le récit du comportement des jeunes que par le témoignage du survivant, miraculé et grièvement brûlé, Metin, d'origine turque. Interrogé par les policiers sur son lit d'hôpital, le jeune blessé a expliqué qu'il avait suivi ses deux copains, qui lui criaient de courir. «Mais pourquoi on court?» leur a-t-il demandé après plusieurs minutes. Arrivés devant le transformateur, les trois garçons gravissent à toute allure les deux murs d'enceinte, malgré les barbelés.

Planqués à l'intérieur du bâtiment, les jeunes reprennent leur souffle et se parlent: «Si je me fais choper par les civils, mon père va me renvoyer au bled», aurait dit l'un des camarades à Metin, qui l'a rapporté aux enquêteurs. Un seul était pourtant connu des services de police et, encore, pour une affaire bénigne. Environ une demi-heure plus tard, l'un d'eux, probablement Metin, se rapproche du transformateur: le courant de 20 000 volts le traverse - ce qui expliquerait sa survie - et tue ses deux camarades, atrocement brûlés vifs. Les policiers, qui ont procédé à l'interpellation des jeunes, sont alors au commissariat depuis un quart d'heure. Ils rédigent leur rapport quand intervient une coupure de courant, à 18 h 12 précisément, l'heure à laquelle les garçons sont frappés par le phénomène d'arc électrique.

Quand il se réveille, Metin a les vêtements qui brûlent. Malgré son état de choc, il a la force de remonter les murs en parpaings - creux à l'intérieur - et de marcher plusieurs centaines de mètres pour prévenir ses copains dans un centre commercial. Ce sont eux qui alertent les pompiers à 18 h 44. Sept minutes plus tard, un véhicule de la 14e compagnie arrive sur place. Les pompiers sont contraints de franchir la porte de la rue du Bois, qui est fermée. Ils voient les deux corps calcinés, mais ne peuvent entrer dans le transformateur avant qu'EDF ne coupe le courant. Pendant ce temps, ils aperçoivent Metin, qui est revenu près du bois. Celui-ci est aussitôt confié au Samu, arrivé sur place. Mais des proches et des badauds des cités alentour sont déjà là. Inquiets, ils s'impatientent. L'ambiance s'échauffe. Certains s'énervent et s'approchent de la voiture du Samu, qui essuie des coups. Elle est obligée de s'enfuir. «Le garçon a été médicalisé un peu plus loin, dans une rue tranquille», confie un infirmier. Dans la voiture, Metin, choqué, mais conscient, aurait raconté qu'il courait devant d'autres jeunes.

Rapidement, la tragique nouvelle se répand dans la cité du Chêne-Pointu, dans le centre de Clichy, d'où sont originaires les victimes. «On s'attendait à éteindre des voitures cette nuit-là», glisse un pompier. Mais pas à ce niveau-là. La situation dégénère en émeute le soir: plus d'une centaine de jeunes commencent à attaquer commerces et bâtiments publics. Une quinzaine tentent de s'introduire dans la mairie. Certains affrontements se déroulent devant la caserne des pompiers, où stationnent les forces de l'ordre. Au passage, un camion de pompiers subit des attaques. Ce qui conduit la Brigade des sapeurs-pompiers de Paris (BSPP) à déclencher l'échelon rouge de son plan «troubles urbains», un dispositif peu utilisé: aucun véhicule ne «décale» (sort) sans la protection d'une voiture de soutien et d'une escorte policière. Les pompiers sont tous en tenue de feu, casqués, et certaines règles de sécurité doivent être strictement appliquées: stationnement en marche arrière à l'abri des façades; pas de gyrophares ni de sirènes, etc. «On n'engage les moyens que s'il y a un danger ou risque de propagation du feu, précise le capitaine Sébastien Lamoureux, commandant la 14e compagnie. Sinon, on laisse le véhicule ou la poubelle se consumer toute seule.» Un dispositif inspiré de celui utilisé durant trente ans en Ulster…

Un tir de 9 millimètres
Le lendemain, vendredi soir, la situation empire. Les échauffourées tournent à la guérilla urbaine: 400 personnes se heurtent aux forces de l'ordre, qui tirent plus de 150 flashballs au cours de la nuit, ces balles en plastique dont ils sont désormais équipés. Plus de 300 grenades sont lancées par les CRS. «Nous avons eu chaud, car les effectifs, ce soir-là, étaient un peu justes», confie un responsable de la sécurité publique. Les bennes situées à côté du poste de police de la cité Utrillo, à Montfermeil, sont incendiées, tout comme 29 voitures. Plus grave: un fourgon de CRS essuie un tir de 9 millimètres qui passe à seulement 5 centimètres d'une vitre - la police a déposé plainte pour tentative de meurtre. Un pompier se souvient de la détonation: «A un moment, on s'est retrouvés avec une cinquantaine de manifestants derrière nous et on a entendu le coup de feu. Là, on a vraiment flippé.»

Depuis la veille, les jeunes ont eu le temps de s'organiser en s'équipant de produits inflammables et en cloisonnant le territoire, dans un périmètre situé entre les cités du Chêne-Pointu, Utrillo et le boulevard Emile-Zola. «Ils avaient réfléchi où ils pouvaient prendre à partie la police, en mettant le feu dans une impasse ou près d'une façade et en utilisant les voitures comme des barricades», raconte un officier. De même, les voitures incendiées sont bourrées de pneus, de fumigènes, de feux d'artifice, de bidons de peinture et de cocktails divers…

Samedi, le dispositif est renforcé. Plus de 300 policiers sont sur le terrain. Les pompiers, aussi, reçoivent une vingtaine d'hommes supplémentaires. Après les appels, dans la matinée, de la communauté musulmane et du maire, la soirée s'annonce plus calme. Vers 19 heures, le capitaine Lamoureux donne néanmoins ses consignes: «Ne peaufinez pas, vous éteignez et vous dégagez.» Le premier feu est signalé à 21 heures, une voiture boulevard Emile-Zola. Jusqu'à 4 heures du matin, 17 voitures «seulement» seront brûlées, mais aucun affrontement n'est à déplorer.

Pourtant dimanche, ça reprend de plus belle. On dénombre moins de feux, mais de nouveaux affrontements ont lieu, du côté de la cité des Bosquets, à Montfermeil, un «territoire que les jeunes maîtrisent mieux», selon un policier. Les assaillants utilisent des grenades au poivre et au plâtre. Les CRS chargent. L'une de leurs grenades lacrymogènes tombe sur la mosquée, dans le quartier de la Forestière, à Clichy, provoquant une vive émotion dans la communauté musulmane. Le ministre de l'Intérieur réclame une enquête de la police judiciaire.

Lundi, le bilan s'élève à 68 voitures incendiées et 53 interpellations, dont 33 gardes à vue; 8 passent en comparution immédiate devant le tribunal de grande instance de Bobigny.

Sarkozy hausse le ton
Parmi eux, Mohamed, Ibrahim et Nassene, trois majeurs, sont accusés par la police d'avoir lancé des pierres et des bouteilles, et de faire partie d'un groupe particulièrement violent. Eux donnent une autre version: l'un allait voir son père, l'autre était descendu dans la rue récupérer les enfants d'un ami, le dernier rentrait déposer une caisse à outils chez son patron, dont il ne peut malheureusement pas dire le nom, car il travaille au noir… Ils ont écopé de huit mois d'emprisonnement, dont deux ferme.

«Trois choses expliquent ce basculement dans la violence, analyse, consterné, le maire (PS), Claude Dilain. Le climat général anti-institutionnel, la mort tragique de ces jeunes et les incertitudes sur son origine.» Les familles n'en démordent pas: elles sont persuadées que leurs enfants étaient pourchassés par la police. Elles ont d'ailleurs refusé de rencontrer Nicolas Sarkozy au ministère de l'Intérieur. Leur avocat, Me Jean-Pierre Mignard, demande la nomination d'un juge d'instruction. «Pourquoi des jeunes qui n'ont rien à se reprocher se sont-ils sentis suffisamment menacés pour pénétrer sur un site dangereux?» s'interroge-t-il. Le procureur de la République, de son côté, martèle que les trois garçons n'étaient pas poursuivis.

Nicolas Sarkozy, lui, hausse le ton en promettant la tolérance zéro pour les violences urbaines. Il ira, chaque semaine, dans un quartier sensible et augmentera les effectifs policiers. Les affaires de Clichy marquent un tournant pour le ministre de l'Intérieur dans la lutte contre les délinquants des cités et révèlent l'état éruptif des banlieues: comme une traînée de poudre, Sevran, Neuilly-sur-Marne, Bondy, Aulnay-sous-Bois ont connu depuis des affrontements, des caillassages et des incendies de véhicules. On le sait depuis longtemps: le développement des zones de non-droit où l'Etat a baissé les bras nous éclate à la figure. Ou les méthodes dures de Nicolas Sarkozy font reculer la criminalité et apaisent les cités pour que l'Etat y retrouve sa place. Ou, au contraire, en haussant la barre et en brandissant la répression, le ministre provoque une aggravation de la situation et une dérive à l'américaine. Le risque d'un embrasement général des banlieues n'est pas une fiction. C'est aussi le produit de décennies d'abandon.

This item is available on the Militant Islam Monitor website, at